DNS slave servers [WAS Re: Umask and redhat (updated)]

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jul 20 17:12:17 UTC 2004

Andrew Kelly wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 19:49, Rick Stevens wrote:
>

>>>Oh would you two please stop!
>>
>>[evil snicker!]
>>

>>>First Travis gets me all blubbery with a painful bout of homesickness,
>>>and now Rick has me picking my "haven't flown in years" scab.
>>
>>(twirling moustache) Muahahahaha!  "You keep picking at that and it'll
>>never get better!"  The only cure for that is to get off the chair and
>>go fly.  Pony up the $40 and go take one of those AOPA "Be-A-Pilot"
>>intro flights or haul your sorry butt down here to my place and I'll
>

> Sadly, I live in Germany, the Land of Rules and Restrictions and Hugely
> Inflated Perceived Worth. A balloon ride for 2 approaches 4 figures in
> this berg. For $40 all you can manage is a poor quality recording of
> some unisex person pronouncing the word Flugzeug.
> It's just not something you can put in your flight book.

Ah, but it'll win you bets in the local bar!

>>take you up in the '64 Piper Comanche 180.  See:
>

> If I were withing 5 hours of you, I'd already be on the way.
> <grumble>
>
>>	http://www.rhil.net/docs/N8365P.jpeg
>

> Sexy ride. But what's that funny spinny thing on the nose?
> :-)

Well, since you're in Germany, I figured you should see what the BMW
logo is based on and how it works.  Thhhhpt!

> I only have 39 starts and 7 hours of stick time, but I don't recall any
> moving parts up front.

Oh, so you're a kerosene pusher.  One power control.  Wimp!  I've got
THREE!  Add in manual flaps and retractable gear and landings are busy
times.

>>for a jpeg of me in my plane over Lake Havasu (that's London Bridge
>>below me).  The camera plane was a Cessna 206.
>>

>>>You guys make for a tough Monday re-entry, that's for certain.
>>
>>We try, we try!  ;-)
>

> Perhaps you can atone for your cruelty (and we can stop risking being so
> OT).
>
> We've recently completed some projects and ended some business
> relationships, and as a consequence I suddenly find myself without any
> remote secondary DNS servers. If the farm where ours servers live were
> to take a hit, all our domains would fall off the screen. I'd very much
> like secondaries in 2 addition remote locations, and would be happy to
> provide a reciprocal service.
>
> Can you he'p me out?

We can do that.  We have something called "VitalDNS", which is a widely
deployed, heavily redundant DNS with servers in Los Angeles, CA, Irvine,
CA and Ashburn, VA (outside of Washington D.C.).  I'm not 100% certain
we offer this as a stand-alone service, but you can email our sales gang
at sales at vitalstream.com and they'll see what they can do.  I've already
alerted them to expect your message.  No obligation.
-           If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!           -