Upgrade from AS 2.1 to AS 3.0

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jul 21 17:58:52 UTC 2004

Cindy H. Wang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a system that I want to upgrade to AS 3.0.  Is it possible to do
> an upgrade from AS 2.1 to AS 3.0?  Or do I need to do a brand new
> install on the system?  If upgrade is possible, what will be the
> safest/best way?

Upgrading OS versions is always risky.  They're usually successful, but
there are times when bad things happen.

The most important thing is to have a backup of your data BEFORE you try
the upgrade.  The most important things to back up are the users' home
directories and any additional software you may have installed (e.g.
Oracle and that sort of thing).

It doesn't matter what the backup media is, as long as it's reliable.
I use both tape and a second hard drive.  The hard drive makes it easier
to get at the backup data directly rather than having to restore from
the sequential-access tape.  I often do both (back up to tape, then
back up to hard drive), then archive the tape.
-           Fear is finding a ".vbs" script in your Inbox            -