FC2 and USB disk problems

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sat Jul 24 03:05:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 06:58, Rick Stevens wrote:

> > That was a nice shot of your plane. Like someone else from Germany said,
> > somewhat more that $40 to go flying here in Australia as well. I'd love
> > to go up but my wallet isn't quite that large. Still, when I wind up my
> > old HiLux diesel ute on the open road it 'feels' like one is about to
> > take off. I'll have to settle for that.
>
> Egads!  Well, that's not bad.  I have a buddy with an Audi RS6 (450HP).
> Yes, it flies, but he's a maniac behind the wheel.  I won't ride with
> him anymore.

Hi Rick, nope, didn't mean it quite like that. My Hilux is two beam
axles and a box with a big chunk of iron over the front wheels to keep
them on the ground, and being 4WD, fairly high off the ground. Problem
is, when there is no load in the back to keep the back wheels on the
ground, the old girl gets very twitchy at speed on the bullock tracks we
call highways here. The message that comes loud and clear through the
seat of your pants is "If I make a mistake now, or I hit another of
those depressions in this road I will become airborne. Better back off
now before I get to see the logo on the tail gate from the driver's
seat!" And I do. I'm old enough now to realise I'm mortal. :-)

> Plane stats:
>
> 	1964 Piper Comanche 180 (PA-24/180), I'm the fourth owner
> 	180HP, 4 cylinder Lycoming O-360-A1A engine
> 	Hartzell constant speed prop
> 	Retractable landing gear
> 	Manual flaps (8, 16, 24 degrees)
> 	IFR certified (avionics in the process of being updated)
> 	Cruise: 120 knots (140 MPH, 225 Km/H) @ 8000 feet on about 9 GPH
>
> She flies very nicely.  I'm upgrading the avionics and the interior
> (red vinyl and cloth--looks like a 1950s diner...yuck!)  To sum her up
> in terminology you'd recognize, mechanically she's "stout as a truck-
> drivin' Sheila" and her exterior "is a right beaut!"  ;-)

Yeah, I can understand that description, and your feelings for her.
Close to what I think of my old Hilux.

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols.