question : slow response

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 26 01:35:11 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 08:18:57PM -0400, GoijI P wrote:
> my NIS client runs a NIS server installed app really
> slow sometimes and even freezes.  got lots of memory and
> swapon -s shows a swap size of 1xxxxxx.

That is not a useful indicator.  Mine says

Filename                        Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/hda5                       partition       1028120 87336   -1

Size is just the created size of the swap partition and is not related
to how heavily it is being used.  For that information, look at the
value under "Used".  Sometimes a more useful command is "free" which
reports amount of real and vitual memory being used.  And you don't
have to be root to run it.

When your system starts running slowly, run the "top" command to see
which process(es) is consuming the most resources.  "man top" for more
information.  That, too, can be run by mere mortals.

> Does not seem to be worms related.RH9.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God promised a safe landing, not smooth sailing.