The RedHat Linux CD was not found on any of the CDROM drives

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jul 29 16:40:24 UTC 2004

steven deferme wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to install Redhat Linux 9.0 on a HP Proliant DL360 server.  I
> get the server to boot from CD-ROM, I choose Linux textbased mode, Linux
> installation program asks me for language, keyboard.  But when I then
> try to install from CD-ROM, the message:
> *"The RedHat Linux CD was not found on any of the CDROM drives"*
> appears.
> I've tried two different copies of Redhat Linux 9.0, they both give the
> same error message.
>
> Please please help

I've run into this before on Proliants, and it's usually traceable to a
DMA issue with the CD drive and the installer's kernel.  Try the install
again, but at the "boot:" prompt, use:

	linux ide=nodma

which disables DMA for any IDE device.  That can slow down the hard
drive quite a bit, so it's better to use:

	linux hdx=nodma

In this case, replace "hdx" with one of the following:

	If your CD drive is			Use
	Master on primary IDE controller	hda
	Slave on primary IDE controller		hdb
	Master on secondary IDE controller	hdc
	Slave on secondary IDE controller	hdd

So, using a normal system where the CD is the master on the secondary
IDE, "linux hdc=nodma".  This would disable DMA on the CD drive only,
rather than the whole bus.
-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -