Configuring RH8 to use an ADSL Modem/Router

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Wed Jun 2 02:53:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 04:07, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:
<snip>

> [...]
> 	initial-interval 2;
>
> 	interface "eth0" {
> 	    request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers;
> 	    request domain-name-servers;
> 	    require subnet-mask, routers, domain-name-servers;
> 	}
>
> Since DHCP requires the help of a DHCP client program (under RH8.0 and
> 9, this is "dhclient"), you must set up the dhclient.conf file as I show
> above.  Your router must also have its DHCP server bit enabled.  The
> dhclient program actually fetches the IP address, netmask, default route
> and DNS server data and applies it.
>
> If you want to manually set up a fixed IP address, you need to tweak
> three files:
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network:
>
> 	HOSTNAME=your.host.name
> 	NETWORKING=yes
> 	GATEWAY=192.168.0.254	(the LAN address of your router)
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
>
> 	DEVICE=eth0
> 	BOOTPROTO=static
> 	ONBOOT=yes
> 	IPADDR=192.168.0.1 (or choose one from .1 to .253, inclusive)
> 	NETMASK=255.255.255.0 (choose one as appropriate)
> 	NETWORK=192.168.0.0 (OPTIONAL -- you really don't need this)
> 	BROADCAST=192.168.0.255 (OPTIONAL -- you really don't need this)
>
> /etc/resolv.conf:
> 	nameserver IPaddress-of-a-DNS-server
> 	nameserver IPaddress-of-a-second-DNS-server (OPTIONAL)
> 	nameserver IPaddress-of-a-third-DNS-server (OPTIONAL)
>
> The "IPaddress-of-a-DNS-server" should be the IP address(es) of your
> ISP's DNS server(s).  These should NOT be addresses in the 192.168
> network.
>
> To verify that things are set up correctly (regarless of static or DHCP
> address settings), you should be able to:
>
> 	ifconfig eth0
>
> and see an address in the 192.168.0.something range.  It should be "UP"
> and have a reasonable netmask.  Next,
>
> 	netstat -rn
>
> should show a line such as:
>
> 	0.0.0.0  192.168.0.254   0.0.0.0  UG        0 0          0 eth0
>
> The important bit is the "UG", which indicates your default gateway, and
> that "192.168.0.254" is the gateway itself.  Finally, take a look at
> /etc/resolv.conf.  If things are correct, it should have one or more
> "nameserver" lines with the IP addresses of the DNS servers you'll use
> (yes, dhclient will rewrite this file if you use DHCP).
>
> If that's all good, you should be able to "dig some-site-name" and get
> the IP address of the site (proves that DNS is working), and you should
> be able to ping both your router's LAN IP (in this case, 192.168.0.254)
> AND it's WAN interface (you'll need to check which address that is with
> your router).  You can also verify the NAT mechanism by visiting:
>
> 	http://www.rhil.net/fancywhatip.html
>
> That page will show you which IP you're coming from (it should match the
> WAN address of your router).
> -   Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?  I don't know.  Who cares?  -

Hi Rick, Everything seems to be working just fine. I didn't set up DHCP
but everything else is as you said. I sent an email to you and the
mailing list asking about a couple of other things I need your expertise
on. I hope I'm not being too much of a nuisance.

Thank you very much for all your help in this matter.

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

Public Key available from http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/#extract

Memory fault - where am I?

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authourised.                        -