Firewall questions I promised you.

Bruce McDonald brucemcdonal at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 2 06:44:48 UTC 2004

Hello Nigel

On 01-Jun-04, you wrote:

> Bruce McDonald wrote:
>> Hello all,

>> I have written my firewall rules using the examples in Linux Firewall
>> Second Edition by Robert Zeigler. Now, when I run the script I get a
>> couple of errors.

>> One is:
>> Bad argument `22'
>> Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

>> This shows up after lines like:
>> if [ "$CONNECTION_TRACKING" = "1" ]; then
>>    iptables -A local-tcp-client-request -p tcp \
>>             -d $SSH_CLIENT --dport 22 \
>>             --syn -m state --state NEW \
>>             -j ACCEPT
>> fi

> This iptables command works here, provided SSH_CLIENT is set correctly.
> What is your setting for SSH_CLIENT?

Discovered an ID10T error in my SSH_CLIENT string.  It did not get set and
therefore the rules with it in did not work.

I even missed this when I went through all the errors that occured, I did at
least pick up one mistake myself in that pass through.

Thank you for steering me back to the culprit.

Regards,
Bruce McDonald

Regards