IP accounting or calculating the number of bytes received from Internet

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Wed Jun 2 10:05:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 22:34, Graeme Nichols wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> I have my ADSL connection up and running, I have everything except mail
> and browsing blocked in my firewall, using Lokkit, and have Tripwire
> running. Do you know if there is a package out there that would keep
> track of the cumulative total of bytes received over my Internet
> Connection? I don't think Ethereal is able to count bytes cumulatively.
> Also, do you thing it advantageous to use Logsentry and Portsentry to
> keep tabs on things?
The firewall iptables keeps track of everything passing each rule.
This allows you to see - not only the number of packets and bytes that
get though - all the data.

To view the information <iptables -v -n -L>

For an hourly cumulative file in your crontab file

0 0-23 * * * iptables -v -n -L >> 'your file name and location'
--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>