yum update server

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Fri Jun 11 04:49:37 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 02:35, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:
> > Hello Folks,
> >
> > Could someone tell me if the following server (the default in the
> > yum.conf file when yum is installed on my RH8 system) is the best for
> > updating etc. my RH8 system 'cos it doesn't seem to work. The error
> > message is to the effect that it cannot find it.
> >
> > http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/
>
> That's not correct.  If you want to update RH8 (which DOESN'T use yum by
> default), you need to find a mirror of the Fedora Legacy project (8.0 is
> not being maintained by Red Hat any longer).
>
> A valid yum mirror for current RH8.0 updates would be:
>
> http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
>
> See http://www.fedoralegacy.org for details.

Thanks Rick, I have only just installed yum and I guessed the default
server was not correct. I only want yum to update/install new versions
of particular programs I need for specific purposes.

RH8 has been really reliable for me and I find it comfortable to use. I
can see no real reason to update it from a usability point of view but I
know that eventually I will have to bite the bullet. The constant flow
of new releases of RH/FC I find a real PITB. Four in the last 18-24
months. Worse than Windows.:-) No sooner bed one down than you have a
new release to contend with.

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

Public Key available from http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/#extract

Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?
		-- Pink Floyd

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authourised.                        -