Num lock

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jun 11 17:18:40 UTC 2004

Fred Grant wrote:
> I too would like to have the num lock key turned on at start-up.  Would
> someone please provide a script that I could paste into the proper file
> to make this happen?  Also, I need to know which file to paste it into.
>
> I tried the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file but nothing happened.  I have RH9
> installed.

Put this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

	TTYLIST=/dev/tty[1-6]
	for TTY in $TTYLIST; do
	    setleds -D +num < $TTY
	done

This will turn on numlock on the six virtual consoles at boot time.  If
you want it on in GUI mode, you need to add that to your ~/.bashrc too
so that when you open an xterm, it gets executed.
- ...Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror -
-                      and you'd be on your own, pal!                -