lacie "big disk and rh 7.3 SOLVED

chuck lawrence celawrence at lbl.gov
Tue Jun 15 21:20:04 UTC 2004

chuck lawrence wrote:

> uhh, *you* sorted it out, sir.  you were exactly right about the inodes.
>  I had used mkfs w/default values before.  mke2fs -n told me I had ~6m
> inodes.  mke2fs -N 120000000 (12m) works just fine, so far.  I'm at 60gb
> and writing.  it wasn't firewire at all.
>
> the freezing behavior just went away, even before I did this.  it may be
> something wildly erratic.  dunno.

I spoke too soon.  72gb in, and it froze again.  I'm going to try an
even larger number of inodes.  I wish I knew the right number.  anyone
got any scientific strategies?

stay tuned...

> thanks.  this isn't the first time you've made me look smart...

and also not the first time I've made myself look foolish.  sigh.

--

  | charles e. lawrence | lawrence berkeley nat'l lab |

                www-eng.lbl.gov/~lawrence