lacie "big disk and rh 7.3 SOLVED

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jun 16 16:00:03 UTC 2004

chuck lawrence wrote:

>> I spoke too soon.  72gb in, and it froze again.  I'm going to try an
>> even larger number of inodes.  I wish I knew the right number.  anyone
>> got any scientific strategies?
>

> the inode max seems to be near what I used previously, 120m.  I tried
> 240m, and it got set to 122m.  anyone know?  the command again was
> "mke2fs -N 240000000".

I thought you said your previous setting was 12m.  There may be a limit
on the size.  A quick calculation does show that's a 4k inode size (my
math yesterday must've been off).

> also, the freezing behavior might be related to bad memory.  it now
> refuses to boot, with or without the disk, and using different kernels,
> and displays what appear to be memory errors.  I'll run a memory diag
> tomorrow.

Ah, it's possible.  I've found a good utility CD is the "Ultimate Boot
CD" (http://ubcd.sourceforge.net).  Lots of good diagnostics and some
nifty recovery stuff.
-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -