PPPoE Recommendations

Chris chornbro at gte.net
Thu Jun 17 23:54:10 UTC 2004

I am preparing to setup a pppoe connection on either a RH 9.0 or Fedora
c1 computer.  This computer will have two nics and will act as a gateway
to the world for a internal LAN.    I don't have a lot of experience
with pppoe, so I am looking for recommendations.

Due to the nature of the connection, I anticipate that I will loose
connectivity on the pppoe link on occasion.  I am looking for a way to
monitor the connection and reconnect when it is lost and also restart my
firewall which will need the newly assigned IP after the reconnect.  I
have already configured the firewall to parse the necessary files to get
the new addresses.

I have planed to use the adsl-* scripts for the link.  Looking at the
adsl-connect script which is called by adsl-start it looks like it will
monitor the connection and restart if necessary.  It also says it will
execute the file adsl-lost if it exists when it tries to reconnect.  I
thought I could reinitiate the firewall (iptables) there, but am unsure
if it executes that before or after it establishes a new connection.

I also thought I might be able to use the ipwatch script and modify it
for my needs.

Maybe an expect script of some kind?

Any thoughts?