Help w/Uninstall

Steve Larsen rolandsdad at opengearbox.com
Fri Jun 18 00:07:07 UTC 2004

At 01:20 PM 6/17/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>LinKins6 at aol.com wrote:
>>Thank you so much for your response... and yes, that is what
>>I'm wanting to do however, whenever I power up the laptop it goes
>>through it's booting sequence and it does not give me an opportunity
>>to load anything...The cursor stops at a grub>
>>it wants a command?????????????
>>I'm sorry to be a pain.... just don't have a clue how to stop this runaway...
>
>When you boot the laptop, you must have your new media inserted.  If
>you're installing Windows, make sure the Windows CD is in the CD-ROM
>drive BEFORE you reboot the machine.
>
>You may have to enable booting from CD-ROM.  Boot the laptop and press
>the "DEL" key to get to the BIOS of the laptop.  Scroll through the
>choices until you see "Boot Devices".  Go into that menu and make sure
>the laptop tries to boot off CD _before_ it tries the hard disk.
>
>I can't be more clear since I don't know what kind of laptop you have
>nor do I know which BIOS it runs.  You should be able to check the
>owner's manual to see how to get to the BIOS and change this setting.
>- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>- VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>-                                                                    -
>-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -

Hello,

 From what I understand you purchased a laptop with RedHat Linux already
installed
and also from what I understand you are not at all familiar with computers
at all beyond
being a end user?

For starters what Rick says is essentially correct. However, do not make
any changes
to your system BIOS you do not understand. If you do make changes to your
system
BIOS and booting up gives you any errors like hard disk not found or memory
check
sum errors, etc .. at that point I would recommend you seek out a
Technician, and try
to make sure they are certified, to correct whatever errors you may have
introduced.

Now that I have frightened you a bit, just enough to make caution a healthy
thing, lets begin
with three easy question.

Please answer these questions.

1. What kind of laptop is this? Don't just say a Dell or Gateway, also say
what model it is.
With a little research we all can figure out what make and type of CPU and
what amount
of memory you have. If you know, please include that. In fact please
include as much
information as you can. How about the advertisement? They usually contain a
good chunk
of information about disk size, CPU and other things. Maybe telling us what
the advertisement
said will go a long way to describing the machine. It doesn't matter if you
purchased this from
a individual like a college student .. there must have been some kind of
description, lets start
there.

2. Does the laptop have a CD-ROM drive? Is it built in or cable connected?

3. Do you actually have a copy of Windows on CD-ROM? A Legal copy?

Steve Larsen
rolandsdad at opengearbox.com
"The only stupid question is the one that was never asked."