Redhat 6.1 Password Change

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 22 21:29:24 UTC 2004

If you would, please don't top post.  Put your post after the post to
which you are replying.

Answer: So that others can follow the thread of exchanges.

Question: Why should I bottom-post?

I'll reorder this.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:21:28PM +0000, Aaron Rykhus wrote:
> >From: Bob McClure Jr <robertmcclure at earthlink.net>
> >To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
> >Subject: Re: Redhat 6.1 Password Change
> >Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:39:17 -0500
> >
> >On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 08:30:27PM +0000, Aaron Rykhus wrote:
> >> I'm new to Linux so don't laugh if this sounds retarded...I installed
> >> RedHat 6.1 recently and have and can login to root and created my own
> >user
> >> account that I can login to...I'm currently reading the RHCE book and it
> >> had me create an account with the passwd command.
> >
> >Umm, you don't create an account with "passwd".  You use "useradd" or
> >some GUI tool.  "passwd" sets or changes a password for an existing
> >account.
> >
> >> However, when I tried
> >> testing logging into the account it doesn't work (login failed). I
> >checked
> >> caps lock and changed it again a couple of times but still no luck. Any
> >> thoughts???
> >
> >You're using a very ancient version of RedHat.  I seem to recall some
> >problem with password but don't recall the exact nature of it.  I have
> >seen passwd carp about your choice of password but go ahead and set it
> >anyway.  Are you getting any odd messages when you run passwd?
>
> When I run passwd it says "Enter UNIX password"
>
> >I presume you are root when you run passwd to change the user's
> >password.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >--
> >Bob McClure, Jr.

Well, yes, that's the prompt.  When you enter the password twice, does
it cough up any errors or warnings?

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Prayer should be our first resource, not our last resort.