Two versions of php installed! How can I fix it?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jun 28 17:57:56 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Leila Lappin wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I know this list is mostly for the installation of the
>> operating system, but please help me figure this out
>> if you can.   When I do rpm –q php I get two versions
>> listed:             php-4.2.2-17 and php-4.2.2-17.2
>

> All that indicates is that you didn't "rpm -e" the previous version of
> php (you did an "rpm -u").

Er, I meant "rpm -i".  When updating, always use an "rpm -Uvh" (this
will update existing installations or install the RPM if a previous
version isn't installed) or "rpm -Fvh" (freshen--only update if a
previous version is installed).

>> I think this is giving me a problem when I try to use
>> php with mysql because I have only one version of the
>> php-mysql installed and that is php-mysql-4.2.2-17
>>
>> I get an error 'Call to undefined function:
>> mysql_connect()'.
>

> Did you install the php-mysql RPM?  You need that if want MySQL
> connectivity under PHP.
>

>> I also did phpinfo();  and confirmed that I am using
>> php version 4.2.2 with apache 2.0 and I have
>> –with-mysql=shared,/usr set.  Eliminating all the
>> obvious problems, if I use my layman’s deduction, I
>> would say the problem is that I am picking up
>> php-4.2.2-17.2 libraries with php-mysql-4.2.2-17 and
>> because they are two different versions (php 17.2 and
>> mysql 17)I get the errors.  If I'm correct how should
>> I fix this? Could someone please help?
>

> Try doing "rpm -qa | grep php" to get a listing of all RPMs that have
> "php" in their name.  If you don't have "php-mysql", you won't be able
> to get at MySQL.
>
> BTW, the latest release of php-mysql for FC1 is php-mysql-4.3.6-1.3,
> for FC2, it's php-mysql-4.3.6-5
> -               The Theory of Rapitivity: E=MC Hammer                -
> -                                  -- Glenn Marcus (via TopFive.com) -

-   Whoever said "Money can't buy friends" obviously never brought   -
-                        donuts to the office.                       -