makewhatis / updatedb

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Tue Jun 29 04:27:12 UTC 2004

I have a RHv8.0 system used for hot backups so NFS is active to and from
an IBM AIX system.

Over the weekend, updatedb (cron.daily/makewhatis) started on Friday,
Saturday and Sunday, but never finished. I was out of disk space this
morning and since it's also used as our print server, no one could print
from our main business system because its spooler went down (another story
for another time).

What can cause updatedb to continue running and not finish? Could it be
the NFS filesystems? They've been mounted for months with no problems.

Karl Pearson
karlp at ourldsfamily.com
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
http://emailgroups.ourldsfamily.com
 If you don't think the dead come back to life, Be here at quitting time