yum update server + Network question.

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Wed Jun 30 05:26:03 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 02:22, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 02:02, Rick Stevens wrote:
> >

> >>Ah.  I usually refer to that as "cockpit error" or "a short between
> >>the keyboard and ground".  I believe the scientific term is "Huh?" ;-)

> >>Glad to hear it.
> >

> > Hi Rick, just further on the internet access for my laptop, I suppose I
> > could have stuck with ssh and logged into my desktop machine and run Moz
> > or Evo from the desktop machine as that works nicely and it has the
> > benefit of keeping all my emails in the one place on the one machine.
> > Ahhhh, options... options.... ain't Linux luvly.
>
> Take a look at running a VNC server on your desktop and a VNC client on
> your laptop.  Your laptop then gives you full GUI access to your
> desktop.  This can be tunneled via SSH as well for security.  Very cool.

Hello Rick, a question on vnc, I had vnc already installed on my desktop
machine (I did a 'complete' install when I installed RH8) and started
the vnc server on my desktop so:

[graeme at barney graeme]$ vncserver

New 'X' desktop is barney.localdomain:1

Starting applications specified in /home/graeme/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/graeme/.vnc/barney.localdomain:1.log

It comes up as above. If I then start vncviewer I am asked for my
password etc and get the Xwindow (fullscreen) with the big X mouse
pointer but no window manager. xstartup contains the following:

[graeme at barney graeme]$ cat .vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh

# Red Hat Linux VNC session startup script
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

It doesn't matter if I comment out the exec line above the window I get
is always the same (I think it is twm but I'm not sure). If I put a
command in xstartup, eg evolution, it doesn't start, just get the
Xwindow with the big X mouse pointer. F8 to get the popup works OK in
the window but nothing else.

If I try from my laptop using the command 'vncviewer -via 192.168.1.2
barney:1' it doesn't work. 192.168.1.2 is the IP address of the laptop.
If I try 'vncviewer -via 192.168.1.1 barney:1 it works to the point
where it simply stops after entering the password. Hitting 'enter'
brings up the message 'couldn't read password' or similar and the
terminal prompt re-appears. 192.168.1.1 is the IP address of the
desktop. The vnc log file follows:

[graeme at barney graeme]$ cat .vnc/barney.localdomain:1.log
30/06/04 14:48:52 Xvnc version 3.3.3r2+tight1.2.2
30/06/04 14:48:52 Copyright (C) AT&T Laboratories Cambridge.
30/06/04 14:48:52 All Rights Reserved.
30/06/04 14:48:52 See http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc for information
on VNC
30/06/04 14:48:52 Desktop name 'X' (barney.localdomain:1)
30/06/04 14:48:52 Protocol version supported 3.3
30/06/04 14:48:52 Listening for VNC connections on TCP port 5901
30/06/04 14:48:52 Listening for HTTP connections on TCP port 5801
30/06/04 14:48:52   URL http://barney.localdomain:5801
gnome-session: you're already running a session manager

30/06/04 14:50:28 Got connection from client 192.168.1.1
30/06/04 14:50:28 Protocol version 3.3
30/06/04 14:50:31 Client 192.168.1.1 gone
30/06/04 14:50:31 Statistics:
30/06/04 14:50:31   framebuffer updates 0, rectangles 0, bytes 0

Any clues?

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

Public Key available from http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/#extract

Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends!
We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside!
There behind the glass there's a real blade of grass,
Be careful as you pass, move along, move along.
Come inside, the show's about to start,
Guaranteed to blow your head apart.
Rest assured, you'll get your money's worth,
Greatest show, in heaven, hell or earth!
You gotta see the show!  It's a dynamo!
You gotta see the show!  It's rock 'n' roll!
		-- ELP, "Karn Evil 9" (1st Impression, Part 2)

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authourised.                        -