Evolution problem

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Wed Jun 30 22:56:52 UTC 2004

> Hello Folks,
>
> However, I noticed a curious thing, if I ssh into my desktop machine
> from my laptop to run evolution (so as to keep things in one place on
> one machine) and I do a search on my inbox the resulting matches
> highlight the word searched on in the emails. If I then go to my desktop
> machine and do the same the search word is again highlighted but if I
> exit Evolution and re-start it and do the search again the search word
> is completely missing, no blank space in place of it just a single space
> character. This missing highlight is the problem I've had all along and
> I simply thought it was a bug in the Evolution version I have.
>
> The question is: Why does it work when I ssh in from my laptop and why
> does it still work when I go back to my desktop machine but NOT after
> killing Evolution and re-starting it on the desktop. Anyone have an
> answer? Both machines are running RH8 but the version of Evolution
> installed on the laptop is the original version from the distribution
> CDs, it hasn't had the security fix applied. But that shouldn't make a
> difference as when I ssh into my desktop machine to run Evolution on the
> laptop I am running the Evolution installed on the desktop, Aren't I?

I would suspect it's a font issue. You may have chosen a font that doesn't
have a valid reverse/bold/whatever attribute. I've had this type of
problem and fixed it by changing the font I use. I apologize for not
knowing the actual font I selected, or even where I changed, it, but I
noticed the problem went away when I used VNC to run Evolution. In order
for VNC not to conflict with my desktop, or mess it up, I run VNC using
KDE and locally run Gnome. Try that to verify which does what, if you feel
up to it.

Karl