Bootup: cannot execute /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

Chris Hewitt g0pae at manordat.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 08:14:40 UTC 2004

VB wrote:

>Hi,
> I just modified my /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit since I've
>been having problems with the 2.6.3 kernel.  Now on
>bootup I can't execute the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit file
>(that's what the kernel tells me on bootup)...assuming
>the file has some syntax error or something, as the
>file is executable.
>
>I have a backup of a working copy and the "broken"
>copy both on a floppy and on the linux partition, how
>can I boot an alternate /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit? how can
>I verify the correctness of a modified
>/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit? I'm using grub, RH9 and FC1.

If you boot from the first installation CD and put "linux rescue" in at
the boot prompt you will end up with your linux root system mounted
under /mnt/sysimage. From there you can swap over your working and
non-working /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (which would now be
/mnt/sysimaage/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit).

Hope this helps

Chris