smbd errors in smbd.log

cajun cajunlee at alltel.net
Sat Mar 6 22:43:27 UTC 2004

cajun wrote:

> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> John Strunk wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone on this list know what the following smbd error means?
>>> It keeps showing up in my /var/log/samba/smbd.log file.
>>>
>>> [2004/03/04 15:34:41, 0]
>>> smbd/oplock_linux.c:linux_init_kernel_oplocks(287)
>>>    Failed to setup RT_SIGNAL_LEASE handler
>>>
>>> This is on a RedHat 9 system with all the latest rpms installed.
>>> Appreciate any help or advice on how to eliminate this error.
>>

>> Not sure.  There's nothing in bugzilla about it, either.  Perhaps you
>> should squawk it to bugzilla.  My guess is that it's benign, but I can
>> see how it would be annoying.
>> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>> - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>> -                                                                    -
>> -            The gene pool could use a little chlorine.              -
>>
> Hey John,
>
> Yea, I have seen this before.  I had the same errors popping up.  I
> can't remember what I did right off hand to get rid of it, but give me
> a little bit and I will go dig through my messages.  I will find it
> and post it back up here.  At least it help me out, and maybe it will
> help you out.
>
> Lee Perez

Hey John,

OK, found it.  I don't remember who it was that helped me with this
problem, I wish I could becuase I would like to give him the credit for
this fix.  Anyways, try this:

In your smb.conf file add the following:

 kernel oplocks = no

This helped me out, it stopped those error messages from appearing.
 Hope this helps.

Lee