RH 7.1 installation on an IBM server with 3 scsi disks

Andrew Kelly akelly at transparency.org
Tue Mar 9 11:57:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 11:30, Chris Hewitt wrote:

> May we please cool this down.

Chris,
I appreciate your need to mediate and respect the effort, thanks.
But you needn't worry about a flame war; I have no intention of not
being cool.
There was no heat in what I said, but I WAS at one point being
intentionally rude to make a point, although I apparently failed at
getting it across.
I'll blame it on a moderate fever and sleep deprivation.

> I read your earlier post a few times,
> Andrew, before I realised that you probably did appreciate that RAID on
> the same drive did not achieve the usual RAID objective, and that it was
> an experimentation/leaning excercise. I think Rick probably did the
> same, but may not have appreciated your objective. Rick's response may
> have been a little severe, but in my opinion your response has made
> things worse. Yes, you are both knowledgeable. Yes you both know what
> RAID is about. Please may we discuss not <put your own term here>.

I don't think I can agree with your statement that I've made things
worse. Was there even a "thing" to have been worsened?
Yes, I may have gotten Ricks knickers in a twist, but that was rather my
intention, at least in part.
A very large percentage of participants in lists like this one have a
language other than english as a mother tongue. They also span the full
spectrum as far as abilities are concerned, so there are bound to be
(and often enough are) some strangely formulated or ill founded postions
and/or questions.
Huge effort should be made when replying to these queries, not to
_even_accidentally_ be demeaning in any way. The larger burden lies in
this respect to those that know the most or can impart the information
the best.
Openly pissy responses should absolutely not be tolerated at all.

Rick, if you are guilty only of having written something in a way which
I falsely interpreted as rude and condescending, then I apologize for
the intentionally snotty comments, but admonish you to take the rest to
heart. The burden of communication lies heavily on the speaker in a
venue like this, and every effort should be made to circumvent the
possibility of misinterpretation.

Andy