Separate workspaces

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 10 00:18:20 UTC 2004

Ken M Sexton wrote:
> Greetings readers,
>
> Every so often someone suggests it is better, when starting another
> application, to open a new workspace (in the GUI) rather than opening
> the new application in your original workspace.
>
> What is the advantage of doing this? I have tried both ways and have
> found no difference to the display or the machine's performance.

It's a personal preference, Ken.  Do what feels natural to you.  Having
multiple desktops is a lot nicer than having to iconify or windowshade
windows constantly--at least for me it is.  Let me explain:

I have a veritable sh*tpot of open apps all the time and use 8 desktops.
One is me logged in as my mortal self with three xterm windows, you
know, to do normal stuff.  Number 2 is my mail client/web browser
display (Mozilla/Mozilla Mail).  Number 3 is a just a desktop (used to
open GUI tools when I don't want to stomp on my xterms).  Number 4 is
just like number 1, but with me logged in as root in the xterms.

The fifth is a debug/development screen with whatever code I'm working
on in either kdevelop, codefusion or other GUI.  Number 6 is a bunch of
xterms with ssh connections to our SMTP and incoming mail server
clusters.  Number 7 is similar, but with connections to our 9-server
POP3 cluster.  Number 8 is like 6 and 7, but with connections to our
webmail and IMAP clusters.

Having it laid out like this allows me to switch between environments
very easily.  "Hey, Rick, something's wrong with POP server 4!", click,
and I'm there.  As I said, it works for me, but it's not for everyone
(oh, BTW, I run a 1280 x 1024 screen).
-  Tempt not the dragons of fate, since thou art crunchy and taste   -
-                         good with ketchup.                         -