RH 7.1 installation on an IBM server with 3 scsi disks

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 10 17:30:03 UTC 2004

Andrew Kelly wrote:

{heavily edited for length]
> On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 18:23, Rick Stevens wrote:
>>Uhm, I'm sorry to have sounded so "high and mighty".  I didn't intend to
>>"bash it apart".  My phrasing could have been better and I appologize.
>
> Thank you, Rick, I appreciate that.
> If you haven't seen my previous posting, you have my apologies as well.

No problem.

[snip]
>>My "tirade" (should you wish to call it that) was invoked because we
>>have a number of neophytes on the list and I get concerned when
>>something like this gets put up, simply because I'm worried they'll set
>>up a single-disk RAID and think that it will provide them the same
>>"security" as a multi-disk RAID.
>
> Ah. Thank you for the explanation.
> Of course I can completely understand your motivation; my feelings are
> roughly the same.

Thanks for seeing it the way I do.  While it's called the "redhat
install list" (inferring newbies get help here), there's also a large
number of pros such as you and I (and others).  Being old hands, It's
easy to forget that the new folk are seeing these too, and we must be
careful to not let them shoot themselves in the foot.  If anything, I
feel a bit paternal to the list and it sometimes leads me to be overly
cautious and call attention to, uh, "questionable" practices or mesages,
even when no harm was intended.

[major snippage]
> Here:
> I work at the secretariate of an international organisation; where the
> roughly 70 people in the building represent 30 or so different
> nationalalities. On a personal level I am accutely "allergic" to belittling
> behaviour or anything that attempts to attack the worth and value of
> any human being. But my work has made me minutely aware of the importance
> of communication; specifically the need to take every precaution to
> ensure that what is being communicated cannot possible be perceived
> as rude or demeaning.
> It is sometimes amazingly difficult, that is a fact.

Well, I understand that.  I think that the "listener" should also assume
a certain degree of forgiveness, since the "speaker" may not be of the
same culture and may not understand that they're being offensive.  But
that's just me and my sense of fair play, and I often feel that I'm a
cult of one on that issue.  Ah, well.

> My "offense" was rather quixotic, I'll give you that.
> :-)

Tilting at windmills, are we?  ;-)

> Looks like a case of "red flags passing in the night", non?

I think the proper response is, "Oui!"  Is that right?  I don't speak
French.  Many think I don't speak English very well, either, and it's my
native tongue (well, American English is.)

> 'nuff said.

Indeed.  Ok, the thread (as far as yelling at each other) is done.

Later!
-              Death is nature's way of dropping carrier             -