need some help abt app installation

Chris Hewitt g0pae at manordat.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 14:59:07 UTC 2004

Jay D wrote:

> See
> http://www.loscompanion.com/howtos/installing_tarballs/installing_tarballs.html
> and also
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/answers.php?action=viewarticle&artid=15
>

> Read through the links.  By the way, I'm new to linux also.  But to
> find the first link I just did a google.com search for: "how to
> install applications" AND .gz AND linux
>
> Try googling yourself and you'll get lots of information that will
> help you.  Google is your friend.  ".exe" files are windows only.  If
> you Linux inxtallations often result in being able to run the program
> by typing its name at the command prompt (ie "netscape").  When you
> "unpack" the tarballs (see the above link) they're will be README
> files with specific instructions.
>
> cheers,
>
> jay

Jay,

Yes, correct, but I would urge some caution with tarballs (.tgz or
tar.gz) files (whether source or binary). There are many flavours of
unix besides the different flavours of linux and a tarball may need
considerable configuring for the particular linux you have. Using a
binary rpm for the particular distribution is much less risky,
particularly for those new to linux. Also, using a rpm means that it
will be noted in the rpm database thus it can be uninstalled. Tarballs
will not go into that database and thus cannot be removed from the
System Settings -> Add/Remove Applications menu item.

I'm not suggesting that tarballs should not be used, just that a rpm for
the particular distribution is going to be easier and safer.

Regards

Chris