Disabling certain PCI devices

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Mar 11 19:57:23 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:

> As far as I know, it's created by the "make modules-install" portion of
> a kernel build, but I won't swear to it.  I can't speak to gentoo as I
> don't have a system set up (gee, YAFO for labrat.ssssc.com).  I'll do
> some snooping later today and see what I can find.

Rick,
    I got a response from the Gentoo list. The values are set (in my
case) in one of the source code files for the 1394 stack. To change this
behaviour under Gentoo I have to modify that file (in this case
ohci1394.c) and rebuild the kernel. (Or at least the driver.) The
modules.pcimap file is then created by a depmod command at boot time I'm
told.

    It is interesting that on Redhat the modules.pcimap does appear to
be static, so I guess I could possibly just edit the file on that
machine. I suspect that maybe somewhere in the modules_install step
there may be a similar depmod that builds this?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Mark