What have I done?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Mar 12 17:01:20 UTC 2004

Ken M Sexton wrote:

>>> Greetings readers,
>>> I am running RH7.2 and using the KDE GUI. I was checking (i.e.
>>> fiddling) with some of the options for my desktop under the K menu
>>> and have given myself a puzzle!
>>> In the panel across the bottom of the screen are icons for various
>>> programs. To their right is a small diagram of four workspaces which
>>> change colour as I use them. Next is a space where the particular
>>> applications I have opened are shown. But they are not showing unless
>>> I click on the right hand edge of this space. I would prefer them to
>>> be visible all the time a program is running.
>>> What have I done to lose this feature - or hide it?
>>> Thanks
>>> Ken
>>

>> Ken,
>>    Sounds to me like you turned on the 'Auto-Hide' feature. Drag the
>> bar out, right click it and look for properties. I think you'll find
>> this feature set in there somewhere.
>>
>> - Mark
>

> Thanks Mark but that is not the answer. I had tried that and checked
> again. None of the options under Panel/Hiding are checked but still "no
> show".
>
> The area to which I am referring is in the middle of the panel, (if
> "panel" is the correct name for the display across the *whole* of the
> bottom of the screen) but does it perhaps go by another name? The rest
> of the panel is visible all the time, by the way .

Yes, that's the "panel".  Check on the far right of the panel and see if
there's a thin vertical bar with something that looks like a hatch
pattern in it.  If so, drag it to the left and see if your application
list window shows up again.  If it does, stretch it to the size you want
and let go of the left mouse button.  You should then be able to right
click on that section to pop up a menu.  Select "Move" and it'll track
the mouse movement on the panel.  Move it to where you want on the
panel, then left click to release it.  Save your session when you're
done.
-     Try to look unimportant.  The bad guys may be low on ammo.     -