erratic grub

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Mar 12 17:19:24 UTC 2004

Fred Grant wrote:
> Grub usually boots my rh9 from hd0 ok but sometimes tries to boot from
> hd1.  This appears to be random in nature.  It then does successfully
> boot from hd0 and generates a bunch of error messages.

The most common problem here is that you're using cable select on your
drives rather than hard jumpering them.  hd0 should be hard jumpered to
"master", hd1 to "slave".  NEVER, EVER depend on cable select.  Whoever
spins up first becomes the master drive with that.  Bad, bad idea.
Spectacularly stupid, in fact.  It NEVER should have been considered.

>  Since it always
> eventually boots, its more of a nuisance than a problem.  Here is my
> grub file:
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
>
> #
>
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
> file
>
> # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
>
> # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
>
> # root (hd0,0)
>
> # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
>
> # initrd /initrd-version.img
>
> boot=/dev/hda
>
> default=0
>
> timeout=0
>
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-6)
>
> root (hd0,0)
>
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-6 ro root=LABEL=/1
>
> initrd /initrd-2.4.20-6.img
>
> #title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-6)
>
> # root (hd1,0)
>
> # kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-6 ro root=/dev/hdb2
>
> # initrd /initrd-2.4.20-6.img
>
> I do have an hd1 drive but I just use it when I want to play around
> without worrying about blowing it up.  It's just a copy of hd0. I notice
> that I don't have the word "boot" anywhere.  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks

- If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate -