DSL Woes

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Mar 12 17:36:10 UTC 2004

Michael Ault wrote:
> --- Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
>
>>brynjarr at bellsouth.net wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to set up my system with a 2Wire Inc.
>>
>>PC Port. It is a USB device that will connect me to
>>my home's network.
>>
>>>Unfortunately when kudzu detected and configured
>>
>>the device, i fear that it configured as a modem. If
>>it did I have no way to connect to the network. I
>>don't know any of the devices DMA or IO or anything
>>like that.
>>
>>>How can I manually tell my system (Which is RH9)
>>
>>that this device is a DSL adapter. It's not an
>>ethernet, since it works off a regular phone line
>>that's connected to the DSL modem.
>>
>>>Can anyone help me?
>>
>>First, try "ifconfig -a" and see if the device shows
>>up as a network
>>adaptor (it'd be called "ethx", "pppx", "wlanx" or
>>something like that,
>>with the "x" replaced by a decimal digit).  Remember
>>that "lo" is the
>>local loopback and will be displayed regardless of
>>the presence of
>>another device.
>>
>>If it doesn't show up, try "lsusb" to see what the
>>system thinks the
>>device is.  You might post the bit that describes
>>that device.  Once we
>>know that, we may be able to help.
[snip]
> Rick,
>
> If you will remember we went through this once
> already...I never did find a solution.

I recall, but I don't remember seeing the lsusb output.  We might be
able to wrapper the drivers from Windows for it, a'la ndiswrapper.
The thing to see is if linux understands it at all.  We may be able to
come up with a workaround.  If not, then I'd look at dumping that
device and buying some wireless stuff.

IIRC, you have a DSL modem that connects to the phone line.  This USB
adapter ties you into that modem by use of standard telco wire rather
than CAT5.  Did I get that right?
-        Polygon: A dead parrot (With apologies to John Cleese)      -