DSL Woes

brynjarr at bellsouth.net brynjarr at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 13 00:25:59 UTC 2004

> From: Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com>
> Date: 2004/03/12 Fri PM 12:16:49 EST
> To: redhat-install-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: DSL Woes
>
> brynjarr at bellsouth.net wrote:
> > I am trying to set up my system with a 2Wire Inc. PC Port. It is a USB device that will connect me to my home's network.
> >
> > Unfortunately when kudzu detected and configured the device, i fear that it configured as a modem. If it did I have no way to connect to the network. I don't know any of the devices DMA or IO or anything like that.
> >
> > How can I manually tell my system (Which is RH9) that this device is a DSL adapter. It's not an ethernet, since it works off a regular phone line that's connected to the DSL modem.
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
>
> First, try "ifconfig -a" and see if the device shows up as a network
> adaptor (it'd be called "ethx", "pppx", "wlanx" or something like that,
> with the "x" replaced by a decimal digit).  Remember that "lo" is the
> local loopback and will be displayed regardless of the presence of
> another device.
>
> If it doesn't show up, try "lsusb" to see what the system thinks the
> device is.  You might post the bit that describes that device.  Once we
> know that, we may be able to help.
> -  You know the old saying--any technology sufficiently advanced is  -
> -               indistinguishable from a Perl script                 -
> -                                 --Programming Perl, 2nd Edition    -

I appreciate everyone's help on this matter. But i'm gonna bite the bullet and pay for an ethernet card. I'm not bugging around with that little rakker anymore.

I ran the check, and it sees the 2wire thingy as a modem, a dialup modem that's constantly busy.

So, thanks again, sorry for the wild goose chase.