linux rescue - keyboard freezes

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 15 18:09:26 UTC 2004

Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 06:58:57PM -0500, jim wrote:
>
>>hi -

>>i am going to return my book.
>>if the fedora rescue utility wont work there is no way i am messing
>>with this operating system.  i believe it is a hardware issue.
>>the next pc i buy i will consider a linux system that is compatible.
>>to be honest though i wanted to dual boot so i could
>>gradually make the transition and not get shocked all at
>>once.
>>
>> thanks ,
>> marvin
>

> Don't throw in the towel just yet.  There are several experts that
> frequent this list, but not usually on weekends.  (Rick Stevens, call
> your office. :-)

I would, but no one's there!  :-)

>       Either wait for them to collect their weekend mail,
> or re-post your problem on Monday.  Ain't nuthin' perfect (not even
> Linux), but there's likely help enough here to get you started.
>
> I'm not that bright, but here's my first shot at your problem, as best
> as I recall it.  Get into your BIOS and try toggling the state of
> "legacy USB support", that is, if it was on, turn it off.  That may
> not be applicable to your problem, given that you are using an
> external PS/2 keyboard, but, well, I said I wasn't that bright.  There
> are more clues (which may or may not help) at
>
> http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#install_dies

There are several possibilities.  Legacy USB is the most likely, however
it is also possible that DMA operations on the CD can be causing the
issue.  You can try:

	boot: rescue nodma nousb

And see how that does.
-         The Navy's a bunch of wimps!  MY job's an adventure!       -