help abt config modem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 17 17:43:42 UTC 2004

Dany Gates wrote:
> hi, need some help abt configurig my modem (winmodem).linux RH9 doesn't
> detect my
> modem . I have a cd provided by modem manufacturer for drivers which has
> drivers
> for linux also. But it has given drivers for linux 7.0 and 7.2 so will they
> work with RH9?

In a word, no.

>                 Leaving that apart according to insturctions given by
> them i tried to
> install the driver ,but i gives me a following error & halts (after many
> lines displayed) :
> (last two lines)..
> "checking for /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h .....no
> configure:error:modversions.h is missing-you should configure your
> kernel first!"

It appears that you may have driver _source_ and their installation
builds the binary.

> now can u tell me what must have went wrong!! I even have downloaded the
> latest driver
> from net but even it gives me the same error at the end.

You must install the kernel source RPM that's appropriate for your
kernel and go through (at least) the configuration and dependency build
bit.  Then you can install the driver.

To do the kernel bit, see:

	http://www.rhil.net/docs/kernelbuild.html

You'll need to go through step 7 in the "Build Instructions in an
Nutshell" section.  Once that's done, you should be able to install
the driver.

> i have even tried running rpm package of my modem driver which i
> downloaded from net and everything went right!! But linux still doesn;t
> detect my modem.
>
> if in future everything goes well according to instrucations given, is my
> modem ready for use??? I mean will linux detect my modem?? or i have to
> perform
> some extra steps to get it running?
>
> PLZ dont send me any link for help give my some solid solution for this
> problem.
> reply soon..
>
> Sorry for taking ur precious time!!

The smartest thing is to throw away that beblistered winmodem and go
get a real serial-port modem.  They only cost $30 US at most and will
work on ANYTHING (Windows, Linux, OS/2, Mac, Commodore, you name it).
Winmodems are just flat evil!
-     Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.     -