RH 9 automount resets and cron.daily

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 17 18:00:15 UTC 2004

Chiu, PCM (Peter) wrote:
> In the system log file /var/log/messages, there are repeating messages at
>
> 04:02:00 systemx rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from machinex
> for /disks/folderx
>
> and on the client that has a NFS file system automounted,
>
> 04:02:00 systemy automount:[pid]: attempting to mount entry /disks/folderx
> 04:06:34 systemy automount:[pid]: expired /disks/folderx
>
> Can anyone tell me why the automounted file systems gets reset and needs
> to be remounted
> at that time of the day?
>
> The only possibly clue I can find is relating to cron.daily, but cannot
> pinpoint what that is.
>
> This has been  causing undesireable resets on the file systems.

The problem is on the client's automount config.  Check the
/etc/auto.master file for the various options on the filesystem that's
mounted--particularly any "timeo" or "timeout" values.
-   "Do you suffer from long-term memory loss?"  "I don't remember"  -
-                            -- Chumbawumba, "Amnesia" (TubThumping) -