General Problems

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Wed Mar 17 22:09:54 UTC 2004

Matthew Galgoci wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>Early last week Comcast at my house went down for the morning. When it
>>came up my IP address had moved to an AT&T 24.X.Y.Z type address. I'm
>>not sure they got smarter. I think they changed who is running the
>>network... ;)
>>
>>- Mark
>

> iirc, at&t cable service was swallowed whole by comcast. I suspect Comcast has just
> gotten around to some much needed merging and cleaning up of their networks.
>
> (btw if any comcast tech people are reading this feel free to speak up and confirm, deny
> or correct me)

Yes, @Home was swallowed by AT&T which was swallowed by Comcast.

We called Comcast that day. The tech support people couldn't figure out
why I had no connectivity. They said they could talk to my cable modem
so they said the problem was my D-Link firewall. They told me to run to
the store and buy another one. I didn't rush to do that...

 From work later that morning I tried getting into email over the web. I
got nothing but messages about the network getting an upgrade. I
couldn't get email.

Later that afternoon my wife called to tell me the network at home came
up. Around that same time I could first get email over the web and I
also was able to ssh into my home network. (ssh was a delay since I use
no-ip which had to get my new IP and propagate it out to DNS.

Now, I'm pretty sure their tech support people really knew what they
were talking about,that  my firewall broke and magically fixed itself,
and the email upgrade and my ending up with a new IP address just
happened to be going on at the same time.

Right? You agree? ;-)

- Mark