Bad Monitor

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 17 23:22:34 UTC 2004

Info wrote:
> I've changed monitors on a Redhat 8 system.  Went from NEC to Dell (kvm hooked to Win2K machine).  When the Dell monitor is connected to X on the linux box, it blinks it's led's and has a blank screen.
>
> Its clear I need to change the config.  But I can't use the gnome utility (I suspect it doesn't work anyway) because I can't see the gui.
>
> Does anyone know what to change to fix this?

Switch to the blinky monitor and hit CTRL-ALT-F12 (yes, hold CTRL AND
ALT and hit F12), then ALT-F1 to get a text login screen.  Log in as
root and run redhat-config-xfree86.

ALT-F7 will take you back to the blinky screen.  Hit CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE
to restart X with the new settings.
- grasshopotomaus: A creature that can leap to tremendous heights... -
-                                                ...once.            -