How to get sendmail to rewrite envelope recipient

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 14:35:48 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am trying to get a trivial sendmail config. set up, but sendmail m4 just
won't play ball.

This setup is for a simple client which should send all mail to our mail
hub, qualify all names with our domain and rewrite hosts with the domain.
E.g. a userid should be re-written as userid at domain, userid at host.domain
should be re-written as userid at domain.

I've very nearly got it working, but I cannot get sendmail to use the
correct envelope recipient when it's unqualified. It insists on using the
FQDN of the mail hub even though I've specified the masquerade_envelope
FEATURE (this doesn't appear to do anything).

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the magic incantation of sendmail mc
define/features is to get it to do this?

I've tried MAIL_HUB and LOCAL_RELAY, which both seem to do the same.
SMARTHOST won't relay unqualified addresses. The various masquerade options
just don't seem to have any effect on what sendmail uses in its RCPT to:

This is the current sendmail.mc:

divert(-1)dnl
include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
VERSIONID(`setup for Red Hat Linux')dnl
OSTYPE(`linux')dnl
define(`LOCAL_RELAY',`mail.ion.le.ac.uk')
MASQUERADE_AS(`ion.le.ac.uk')dnl
EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555