RH9 Slow on Proliant ML330

mickey mickey at gccsda.com
Fri Mar 19 11:12:19 UTC 2004

I'm having an issue with my Proliant ML330 server and RH9, can't tell if
it's hardware or software...

The problem is that the server - (usually lightning speed) will go into
freeze or just take a break for a few seconds.  A couple of times, I've
had to power off to clear it, but other times, after 5 to 30 seconds it
will take off again.

The easiest way to test it has been to tar cz a group of large
directories while running top in another window.  I notice that several
times, I get about 500 -600 MB gets created, then suddenly the tar job
will pause (on a 1 or 3 MB file), top will show processor speed dropped
from 50% down to 0%, and the keyboard will even hang, nothing seems to
happen.  Just as suddenly, the tar job will usually (eventually) take
off again, the terminal window shows the keys I had typed during the
"hung" time, and top will again show tar sucking 40-60% processor.  Last
night while I tested it, I observed this at least 10 times in as many
minutes...

No errors present in /var/log/messages.

SW - RH 9 [almost] current RHN, The only processes running are samba
(build from Jan 04) and iptables NAT, Squid with DansGuardian.

HW - ML330 G3 Xeon 2.8, 1.2GB
3 Internal 36 GB SCSI drives SW raid 5 on the integrated SCSI Controller
Built in 100/1000BaseT NIC