two versions of linux9 at ftp site

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Mar 19 18:01:57 UTC 2004

pamntom wrote:
> A pre-installation question:
>

> I see two versions of linux9 at the redhat website.
>
> I have a P4 (Dell) running WindowsXP (currently)
>

> Do I want to download the: “shrike-i386-disc?.iso” (1,2 & 3)

That's what you want.  Those are the binary installation media.

> Or, do I want to download the: “shrike-SRPMS-disk?.iso (1,2 & 3)

Those CDs contain the source code for the stuff on the binary disks.

> Also, there’s a 1K file called MD5SUM. Do I need that as well?

That is a text file which contains the MD5 checksums of the ISO images.
Essentially, once you download the images, you can run an MD5 checksum
against them and compare the result of that with the data in that file.
If the numbers match, then you downloaded it successfully.

For a Windows system, you can get the MD5 checksum program from:

	http://www.rhil.net/dostools/dostools.html

Instructions for burning CDs from those ISO images are at:

	http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#making_cds
-  What's small, yellow and very, VERY dangerous?  The root canary!  -