Installing TypingMaster into Games

Chris A Czerwinski chrisczerwinski at cogeco.ca
Sun Mar 21 18:23:34 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 20:02, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 10:31:32AM -0500, Chris A Czerwinski wrote:
> > Thanks to Rick S. and Guy R. (what resources and follow-up)-
> > I've finally got the Java Virtual Machine LINKed properly.
> >
> > Now - I want to install "TypingMaster" application into "Games"
> >   e.g. Main Menu -> Games -> More Games ...
> > so I don't have to install it twice for my kids
> >  (as each has their own logon - boy/girl).
> >
> > I am getting confused between /usr/games and /usr/local/games.
> > Does that mean there is one for Global and the other for who??
>
> The convention, as I have seen it practiced in RedHat, is that
> distribution stuff goes into /usr, and stuff you've added by building
> and installing from a tarball goes into /usr/local.  If you get into
> lots of partitioning, that's why I make /usr/local a separate
> partition.  (That's another discussion.)
>
> > So what would be the proper way of installing and into which
> > directories? and Permissions? and Links?
> >
> > When installing I'm being asked for two locations -
> >   - Install in  ................. (Choose)            and
> >   - Link Folder (Home) or ................. (Choose)
> >
> > Note: When I install as SU - I have to be careful about Home because it
> > may want to install in /root (I think?) and will they have access?
>
> No, you don't want anything for general consumption put in /root.
>
> > Thanks for any input.
> >
> > Chris Cz (Newbie)
>
> Well, philosophically, though it might be crafted to be "game-like", I
> don't think I would put it in /usr/local/games.  That's a rather
> obscure location.  And since it is external to the RedHat
> installation, I'd put it in /usr/local/bin.  That is normally in
> everybody's PATH, so nothing special needs to be done with that.
>
> I don't understand what the "Link Folder (Home) or ..." is about.  If
> you want a shortcut to that, I'd put it in the toolbar at the bottom,
> or you could add a menu item for it.  I don't think I'd let the
> installation program do any of that, because it probably doesn't know
> how, and might well do something undesireable.
>
> Cheers,

Red Hat's file hierarchy is little different from what I have found
on the following link to File System Hierarchy Standard at
      http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRLOCALSHARE1

 <snip...>
Directory/Folder-> /usr/share : Architecture-independent data

Purpose: The /usr/share hierarchy is for all read-only architecture
independent data files.

This hierarchy is intended to be shareable among all architecture
platforms of a given OS; thus, for example, a site with i386, Alpha, and
PPC platforms might maintain a single /usr/share directory that is
centrally-mounted. Note, however, that /usr/share is generally not
intended to be shared by different OSes or by different releases of the
same OS.

Any program or package which contains or requires data that doesn't need
to be modified should store that data in /usr/share (or
/usr/local/share, if installed locally). It is recommended that a
subdirectory be used in /usr/share for this purpose.

Game data stored in /usr/share/games must be purely static data. Any
modifiable files, such as score files, game play logs, and so forth,
should be placed in /var/games.
 <...end of snip>

What I gather is then  Game Applications can be installed in:
                     FHS's  /usr/share/<game-name>
 & equivalent to Red Hat's  /usr/share/<game-name>

and Game Data/Scores are to be stored in /var "... variable data files":
                     FHS's  /var/games/<game-name>
 & equivalent to Red Hat's  /usr/games/<game-name>
                        or  /usr/local/share/<game-name>
  or Create in Red Hat a    /var/games/<game-name> (to conform with FHS)

Chris Cz (Newbie)