Compaq Proliant Storage System U2 and Kouwell adapters

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 22 18:49:15 UTC 2004

Michael Ault wrote:
> I am trying to configure a shared storage system using
> the Compaq Proliant Storage System U2 with Kouwell
> Scsi cards to two RedHat 3.0 AS systems. This uses the
> initio drivers. I have got the systems to "see" the
> array but the one plugged into channel 1 sees only the
> first 6 drives and the one plugged into channel 2 sees
> only the last 6 drives. I need both systems to see all
> the drives. I get devices 1-15 when looking at the
> configuration tool at boot time, but with Linux system
> 1 the first six drives show up with 1-6 as the first
> drives listed and nothing for the second set, and with
> linux system 2 I get drives 7-13 showing up as 1-6 and
> nothing showing up as 7-13.
>
> Any one seen this type of behavior? Do I have to use a
> SCSI switch? (I hope not, those darn things are
> expensive).

I've done similar stuff but not with the Compaq device.  It sounds more
like a LUNning issue with the Compaq than an issue with Linux.  It was
with the thing I used.  The storage controller, by default, presented
the drives as LUNs under a single SCSI ID and split them up between the
external SCSI ports.  When I reconfigured it to treat the drives as
individual SCSI IDs rather than LUNs and told it to make all drives
available to all SCSI ports, it worked peachy.  I can't recall who the
maker of the device was.  If it's important, I can dig it up (the unit
is in storage right now as the client that used it went belly-up).

If the Compaq devices is configured to present all drives to all SCSI
ports, it should work.  As it stands, it looks like you've got it set
to split the drives beween the two SCSI ports.  Since I'm not familiar
with the specifics of the Compaq, I can't help beyond that other than
what I said above.
-     Is that a buffer overflow or are you just happy to see me?     -