Time to agree on time...

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 22 23:05:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 06:43:13AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    Usually I hear people complaining about how Windows messes up their
> clock times, but this time I get to bring up Fedora. (Or more likely my
> lack of knowledge, but let's stay quiet about that...) ;-)
>
>    I shoehorned a copy of Fedora Core 1 onto a system this morning that
> was already running Gentoo. Gentoo runs with ntpd and the time has
> always been spot on. When I installed FC1 this morning I didn't know the
> ntp server name so I just set the time zone to LA and the time to 10AM.
> No problem. Fedora came up with the right time.
>
>    However, when I went back to Gentoo the time was wrong and now shows
> 4 hours later than the real time.
>
>    I have not booted back into Fedora yet as I don't have my email on
> that said, but I'd like to get this set up correctly so that time works
> in both environments.
>
>    Currently in Gentoo /etc/rc.conf has a CLOCK="UTC" setting. I don't
> know where the equivalent setting would be on Fedora, but looking around
> it's not in rc.conf as that doesn't exist.

I don't have FC1 installed yet, but RH 9, and most previous, have that
info in /etc/sysconfig/clock.  Mine reads

UTC=true
ARC=false

>    Also, is UTC the defacto right way to do this, or is there a better,
> more standard way. I've never seen a good page on making this choice.

I prefer UTC=true because the hardware clock never has to be shifted
for DST.  But Windoze won't deal with that properly.  But in an
all-Linux machine, shouldn't be a problem.

> Thanks,
> Mark

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com