help needed

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 24 23:05:42 UTC 2004

shatam bhattacharya wrote:
> I can ping only my system with ip 172.31.65.21 and not even the systems
> connected through my switch ( on the same floor) . Please take a look at
> the following. And by the way ping is not disabled as it working on
> other systems.

The odds are that you don't have the default route set up.  Do
"netstat -rn" and verify that you have a line that has "0.0.0.0" in the
first column.

The default route is normally contained in the /etc/sysconfig/network
file as the "GATEWAY=" equate.  Here's an example:

	NETWORKING=yes
	HOSTNAME=prophead.corp.publichost.com
	GATEWAY=192.168.0.1

If you don't have a default route, you can add one using this command:

	route add -default gw ip-addr-of-your-gateway

For example, to set up the default route as if it were in the network
file:

	route add -default gw 192.168.0.1
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -