Remove Windows permanently; Can installer run from ntldr/boot.ini?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Mar 26 19:46:51 UTC 2004

Me wrote:
> I am looking to convert many existing WinNT/2k/XP machines to rh,
> automatically. However, getting the installer to run, hands-off, no
> floppy or cd,, seems to be a challenge.
>
> Can ntldr run the installer from boot.ini from an ntfs partition?
>
> On Win 98, dos style, I surmise that I can run loadlin to start it, then
> kiskstart the install.
>
> I have completely switched to RH many moons ago, which is why I do not
> even have a XP to test such a scenario, and the other FAQs all talk
> about dual boot; I want total elimination.

You must have boot media that will boot the installer's Linux kernel
and start anaconda.  Once you've established that, you can set up a
kickstart file (on floppy, FTP server, whatever) that will control the
rest of the install (partitioning, etc.)

See

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-kickstart2.html

for details on how to do that.
-         C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit.         -