Laptop related issues

Chuck Campbell campbell at accelinc.com
Mon Mar 29 14:49:40 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 01:33:19PM -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Chuck Campbell wrote:
<snip>
> >I'm contemplating a prostar laptop (8794 model).  As far as I can tell
> >everything should work fine, except I don't know about the 802.11g
> >wireless,
> >which is Gigabyte GN-WIAG.
>
> Really?  I don't know about that.  I don't think Gigabyte makes 802.11g
> chipset.  It's probably a TI or Broadcom (I'd .

Any other guesses on how to figure out who makes it?  Their Tech support
hasn't replied to any of my emails.

> >Anyone know if this device will work under any 2.4 or 2.6 kernels?
>
> ndiswrapper 0.6 will work with the Broadcom (4301, 94306), Intel
> Centrino (2100), Adtek (8211), Atheros (AR5004), SMC (2802 version 2),
> 3Com (3CRSHPW796) and the TI AC111 chipsets.  It uses the Win XP/2K/2K3
> .inf and .sys driver files.

Good to know, and I'll try to find out.  If not, then I can always buy a card
that I know works, so that's not a show stopper.

> >ATI Radeon 9700
> >  Should work, w/o acceleration, right?  If not, I need to know ASAP
>
> Yes, it should work, and ATI has Linux drivers that will drive the
> acceleration for it, also.  Check ATI's website (I was looking at it
> last night).

ATI's web page says their driver works for 9700, but NOT the mobility 9700.
Their web page says to ask the laptop manufacturer for a driver.  Clearly
this isn't happening, (questions included in above emails re: wireless
chip set).

Unless you actually know for sure that the ATI driver DOES work for the
mobility 9700??

I suspect buying a laptop with an unsupported graphics card is going to be
a phenomenally frustrating (and expensive) fiasco...

Thanks,
-chuck