sata sil3114 support for RedHat Enterpise Linux AS for AMD64

Herwig Goemans Herwig.Goemans at ikan.be
Mon Mar 29 17:03:59 UTC 2004

Hello RedHat,

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS V3 does not seem to recognize the built in
SATA controller SIL3114 on my Tyan motherboard.
I have a dual Opteron Tyan S2881 motherboard, 4GB of ram and 4*200 GB
SATA HD's connected to the integrated Silicon Image SIL3114 controller.
The disks are recognized in the bios, the raid array has been configured
in the bios:
The bios is:"
American Megatrends Inc.

080008 - 12/24/2003"

I have registered myself in the rhn. The Hardware list for the server
(Sandbox) shows on the last line:
"
unknown device 1095 3114	 PCI	 CMD Technology Inc	 unknown

"
I presume this represents the sil3114 controller, the number matches in
any case.

Sandbox is a development server and Red Hat v3 has been bought under a
development licence.
Oracle software and database has been installed, the db is supposed to
store it's files on the sata disks.
Right now the db files are stored on the 120 GB ide disk but we plan to
add much more data, we need to add storage as soon as possible.

My question is: Is this controller supported by RedHAt Enterpsie AS on
x86_64 Opteron platform ?

If yes, What do I need to do to get Red Hat to identify the controller
correctly. Do I need to add parameter at the grub boot prompt. Do I have
to load a module to be able to recognize the SIL3114 controller. Rebuild
a kernel.

If No:
I have downloaded from Silicon image a 3114_amd_linux driver bundle.
This bundle does NOT contain a RED HAT Enterprise Edition driver. It
does contain a driver for UnitedLinux 1.0 .

- Can I use this UnitedLinux driver. ?

- Tyan has a beta driver for the SIL 3114 for the ES platform. Can this
driver be used for the AS platform as well ?

- does it make any sense to flash the bios with a more recent version
(if any)

Furthermore, this is a general support issue, I have downloaded the iso
images on March 12th, and apparently activated the two week support at
that time. It expired on March 26th. I have started my RedHat AS
Installation on March 27th. Can we please set the start date for this
support at March 27th.  I DO NEED all support I can get.
I do not know where to get the Product ID number (if I have any) to
activate my product.

Best regards,

Herwig Goemans
Ikan Software