System Commander 7 not working - any pure Linux alternatives?

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 17:47:18 UTC 2004

Hi,
   I got a new laptop for the studio this weekend. It came with an 80GB
drive set as one NTFS partition. My old standby SC7 installs just fine
and does it's normal start-up stuff to get into Win XP, but it just
hangs when you try and enter the partitioning part of the program.
Normally I'd size the NTFS partition down and then go through a Linux
install, but I guess not this time.

   I've always liked keeping SC7 on the system since it does allow me to
resize all partition types after the OS's are installed, but if it isn't
going to work then I'm left looking for a new solution, so why no Linux?

   I could blow everything away on the machine, install Linux, and then
install Windows, but these machines come with funny 'restore' versions
of Windows XP so I'm not sure it won't blow partitions away when I try
to install it.

   I know of none, but does anyone think there is a reasonable Linux
based solution to resizing NTFS partitions without having to reinstall
Windows?

Thanks,
Mark