System Commander 7 not working - any pure Linux alternatives?

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 23:01:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 13:50, Rick Stevens wrote:

> > I have a suspicion that it may be chipset related. I booted Dyne:bolic
> > and using lspci I see an ATI chipset - north bridge, south bridge,
> > pretty much the whole machine except the networking (both wired and
> > wireless) and 1394, are ATI. Probably there's some weird little glitch
> > recognizing the EIDE controllers or something...
>
> Uh, that's possible but it does show the partitions, doesn't it?  If it
> does, I think it can at least _see_ the controller and drive.

No, it sits at the initial blue screen with a message box displaying

"System Commander is analyzing your system"

and never moves from there. I never get to the picture of the
partitions.

> > It's nice that Linux is so flexible...
>
> Remember that XP will try to blow Linux away.  At the very least it'll
> kill off grub or lilo.  Your best bet is to install XP first and reserve
> space for the Linux shared partitions..  Then install Linux and let grub
> do your OS loading for you.  grub will see XP and put it in the boot
> menu.

Yep, I understand. I have SC7 in the boot partition of all my machines,
and from there install grub on another partition, so I first see the SC7
boot menu, then the grub menu, then Linux.

Except, if I cannot get a second OS installed, and I cannot resize a
partition, then SC7 isn't helping. (Stating the obvious...) ;-)

> I've never called V-Com so I don't know how responsive they'll be.  Good
> luck with them.

Thanks. No response from them yet today. We'll see.