xdpyinfo | grep RENDER question

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Mon May 3 19:36:20 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:

>> Now, running Evolution remotely from Jack2 is fast, but running
>> Evolution from Jack1 is slow and I get a message about
>>
>> Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing
>>
>> so I assume this is part of the problem, but I don't know if it's the
>> X11 server on Jack1 (or Wizard?) or something in my ssh setup. (Or
>> something else?)
>>
>>    Any ideas on how I can get Jack1 to see and use (or make available)
>> the RENDER option?
>

> That looks like a difference in your sshd configurations or possibly
> a PATH or other environment setting for user "mark".  Note that you
> were logged into both Jack1 and Jack2 as "mknecht" when you did the
> xdpyinfo commands, and you're going into them as user "mark" via the
> ssh connections.

Rick,
    I got an answer to this today. As of openssh 3.8 there is now a new
option for 'TrustedX11Forwarding' that allows the local machine to tell
the remote machine that it supports the RENDER attribute. I could not
find this option in my ssh_config files, but under man ssh ther eis a
new option -Y which enables this feature. When I use this option I no
longer get the error message

Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing

and Evolution is displayed just as fast as it used to be under openssh
3.7.1 without the -Y option.

    The new command line looks like:

mknecht at Gentoo2 mknecht $ ssh -X -Y -C -c blowfish -l mark
marksmusic.myvnc.comPassword:
Last login: Mon May  3 12:10:53 2004 from 199.108.40.170
mark at Wizard mark $

    Should we possibly update the ssh tunneling page we did to reflect
this change as of openssh-3.8?

http://www.rhil.net/docs/ssh_setup.html

Cheers,
Mark