redhat AS 3.0 update 1 SATA problems

Neil McFadyen nmcfadye at mae.carleton.ca
Thu May 6 14:06:13 UTC 2004

I am trying to run redhat AS 3.0 update 1 on a new intel SE7505VB2
motherboard
with 2 SATA disks, 1 - 120GB Western Digitial and the 2nd is a 200GB
SATA western digital

the / is on the first disk and works ok
however the partition table on the second disk keeps getting corrupted,
it loses its label and the partition has to be re-created and the
filesystem rebuilt

eg fdisk /dev/hdg
1
then  mk2efs -L /export /dev/hdg1
and tune2fs -j /dev/hdg1  to make it a ext3 filesystem

copying files to and from the 2nd disk results in io errors and finally
a total lost partition table and Label

I also had a Adaptec 2410a (ATA raid) with 2 160GB disk in the same
computer, and had similar problems, I removed it hoping it would solve
the above problem but it did not.

I am left to think that redhat AS 3.0 update 1 is not compatible with
this motherboard

Has anyone been able to install it and use 2 disks, or some other raid
controller