I can't use command "man"

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu May 6 16:43:18 UTC 2004

Huan Deng wrote:
> hi all,
>
>       Recently i reinstall Redhat 8.0 on my computer, but strangely users can't use command "man" except root.For example, when i input "man ls",the system message is :
>
>     man: No such file or directory
>     Failed to open the message catalog man on the path NLSPATH=<none>
>     No manual entry for ls

Make sure you have an /etc/man.config file and that it is readable to
all users (minimum of 644 or "-rw-r--r--").  An "ls -l /etc/man.config"
should result in something like:

[rick at prophead rick]$ ls -l /etc/man*
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 4568 Oct 13  2003 /etc/man.config

You may want to reinstall the "man" RPM.
-           Blech!  ACKth!  Ooop!  -- Bill the Cat (Outland)         -